Thank you for the interest in employment opportunities at Orana Wildlife Park. The zoo/tourist industry in which we operate is very dynamic and we seek passionate people to work as part of our team. Any position vacancies we have are listed below.
You may also be interested in Volunteering at Orana Wildlife Park.
animal keepers - nz native fauna section
We are seeking to employ two suitably skilled people for the above position. You will need to be a highly driven and energetic individual with a passion for New Zealand's native wildlife.
Duties of the position will include:
- Providing a high standard of daily care and welfare to a variety of unique native birds and reptiles.
- Daily behavioural observation, health checks and record keeping.
- Involvement in breeding programmes for threatened native species, e.g. whio, pateke and kiwi, including artificial egg incubation and chick rearing.
- Implementing behavioural enrichment programmes.
- Conducting fun and informative presentations to educate visitors on the plight of native fauna.
- Native planting and predator control.
- Maintenance of aviaries, enclosures and surrounding habitats.
The ideal applicant will possess the following skills and attributes:
- A minimum of three years animal husbandry experience. A working knowledge of basic avian and/or reptilian anatomy and husbandry is highly desirable.
- A Unitec "Care of Captive Wild Animals" certificate or equivalent qualifications would be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge of endemic New Zealand fauna, particularly birds and reptiles.
- Responsible mature attitude and team player
- Great organizational and leadership skills with superb communication and customer service
- High level of physical fitness with good practical and maintenance skills, for example aviary maintenance, tree pruning and general horticultural knowledge
- Strong interest in conservation and caring for New Zealand's native fauna.
As animals require care seven days a week, the position will be based on a roster system including weekends and public holidays. Hours of work are 8:30am to 5:00pm. Salary will be in accordance with skills and experience. If you wish to apply, then we invite you to request an application pack by telephone (03 359 7109) or email (email@example.com). All applications must be submitted on the official application form included in the pack by 5 pm, Friday 19th June 2015 and should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to: Head Keeper Natives, Orana Wildlife Park, P.O. Box 5130, Christchurch 8542.